In the 18th century there was a primitive stone cottage known as Toby Riley. On the 1848 ordnance survey map it is shown with outbuidlings. During the 1960s the single storey cottage with its stone barn was home to a young couple with cows, sheep and a horse. Later it was sold on to a builder with a large family who extended the building’s footprint to what is there now; it burned down and the ruin sold to a well known local family who in 1986 rebuilt the house and added more fields and a quarry, also building up a herd of highland cattle, and farming here until 2005 when the Evans family came with 2 sheep and a herd of llamas with the idea of doing llama treks. This did not happen due to illness and the llamas went on to trek near Penrith. Susan Evans did not want to give up the farm and substantially improved Far Moorside to cater for bed and breakfast visitors.